Thursday, November 30, 2017

Pretty Deadly

1.) What is your reaction to the text you just read?

       When I read Pretty Deadly, my first reaction was feelings of shock. I was shocked when I read the comic because from the first page, I didn't suspect any blood or death to be shown. The title indicates that there might be some violence in the comic, but because I never suspected to be exposed so early on in the comic of the violence, I read it with suspense and shock. It is a pretty morbid piece, with blood scenes and killing. The art style enabled me as a viewer to keep reading and stay interested. There was no overkill in dialogue, and I was able to understand and follow the story with ease. Overall, I was fascinated with the story, but since I wasn't expecting so much action in the beginning, I would say the comic was intense for me.

2.)What connections did you make with the story? Discuss the eelement of the work with which you were able to connect.

       I connected with the phrase "death fell in love", because it can be used as a metaphor and I have seen different types of stories on how death falls in love. I connect to it because it is something that is not common, and it holds a bit of serenity and elegance. Death has the connotation to be negative, however, when "death fell in love" it ultimately created this story, in which a child was born when death was in love.

       I also can connect with the creator. The creator was female and I am female. It holds power to me because women have been oppressed, and the creator of "Pretty Deadly" is able to showcase the power she has to make a comic. In this comic, strength, elegance, and knowledge is showcased. 

       I connect also to the art style. When I read the comic, I was instantly drawn to the art style. It reminded me of my own art style. I am intrigued by why the creator chose to draw out the comic in the way that she did. It is more of a mature style, and can maybe hide a small symbolism of power given to women.

3.)What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium. What medium would you use? What changes would you make?

       I would definitely like to see this as a film. I think the story about death falling in love and creating a child would be good to make as a film. It would allow viewers to feel more of the story. It would also increase the intensity of the story. For example, violent scenes would be much more intense when it is played as a film than on paper. If it were to be a film, I would change the length of the comic. I would expand it so that the viewer can take in every single detail and not just 40 pages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment