Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Stereotypes and the Ethics of Representation

What is your opinion about the use of stereotype in comics, animation and gaming narrative? Is stereotyping ultimately a necessary strategy in character design and representation?  Do you think you have personally been affected by stereotypical representations?

While I was heavily exposed to stereotypes in comics, I do not necessarily agree that stereotypes are needed. In my opinion, I find it to be a facilitator to comic creators. I say it is a facilitator because creators use stereotypes so that: viewers can understand or have a connection to a new character, reduces the hassle of making characters. For example, if a comic creator made a character with a plaid shirt and overall holding an axe, we as the viewers would assume he is some sort of lumberjack.
Stereotypes are all around us, but we are so exposed to it that we become desensitized to the exploitation of it. I believe I have been affected by the representation because I fall under categories and labels. I am an art student, and usually people perceive art students to be insomniacs and drug users. While the stereotype isnt always expressed in comics or other visual media, it still lingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment